One of my favorite mother’s day gifts
Mother’s day, Mother’s day….
Mother’s day was founded in 1914 by Anna Jarvis and by 1920, according to Wikipedia, she was already disappointed in its commercialism. And I have to agree. I feel like there is so much pressure on Mother’s day to get the right gift, send the right card, think of all the details, that is loses some of the meaning…to celebrate each family’s mother.
I think most moms agree, it doesn’t have to be big, it doesn’t have to be fancy. We just want someone else to think about it! (but one mommy friend pointed out, if you have newborn twins or 2 kids under 2….it needs to be big and fancy!)
I took a little poll of my mommy friends and the resounding request for Mother’s Day??? No surprise here….alone time! I mean, we all love those little rugrats that gave us the title of MOM in the first place, but we spend A LOT of time with them already. A few quiet moments (or a few hours) to collect your thoughts and drink an entire coffee while it is still hot…priceless.
Here are the other things that made the top 10 list of MOST WANTED MOTHERS DAY GIFTS
1. Sleep in until 10am (with no one else in the house)
2. Vanilla Latte (or hazelnut!)
3. Handmade Card
4. Mani/Pedi and a trashy magazine (alone!)
5. Engraved “mothers” necklace
6. Flowers (never a wrong time for flowers!!)
7. A family picnic (that dad organizes and packs for, after mom gets to sleep in and drink her coffee)
8. Kids Artwork (check out some ideas here)
9. Favorite take-out dinner (no negotiations)
10. Framed Favorite Family Snap Shot